Sunday 31 March 2013

creme fraiche raspberry tart

Every summer my family garden produces beautiful berries in such abundance that my mom has to make jams, desserts, preserves, sauces ... you name it. She cooks with them, mashes them with some yogurt or milk, eats as they are or freezes them.


It is natural you tend to make more fresh berry desserts during this season. So when I got my hands on beautiful fresh and some frozen but not less beautiful and yummy raspberries I knew I wanted to make sour creme raspberry pie my mom used to make. Well unfortunately both of us couldn't remember the recipe so I searched online and came across the following tart which is now a keeper with me.
About a week ago I took it to a picnic with my sweet lady friends and they loved it. The crust of this tart is much easier to make and hustle free but so nice and complements sweet and tangy raspberry filling so well.


The original recipe was posted by Becks here. (Thank you VERY MUCH for this.) She has very nice and clear step by step picture instructions if you are a visual person. She also describes a gluten-free version of this tart which is very helpful for people who are gluten intolerant.
The recipe calls for creme fraiche but you can easily use sour cream instead.

So here is what you will need:

113g butter (1 stick), softened
3/4 cup sugar, divided 1/2 and 1/4 cup
pinch a salt
4 large eggs, room temperature
1tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white flour (as the climate I live is humid I tend to add a couple of tbsp more especially when the humidity rises)
3/4 cup (180g) reduced fat creme fraiche
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (I honestly don't think I use 2 cups of frozen ones per tart. But what I know is that 500g bag of frozen raspberries is ideal for two tarts like that. If using frozen berries, thaw them completely in a colander over a bowl to let liquid drain.)
tart tin preferably with a removable bottom.


Here is what you will need to do:
  • In a big mixing bowl combine butter, 1/2 cup sugar and salt and beat until fluffy and mixed. Add 3 eggs and 1/2 tsp vanilla and beat until smooth and well incorporated. The mixture might look a bit curdled but it will come together eventually.
  • Start adding flour a bit at a time. Mix in 1 cup of flour until just combined, do not over beat. If you see the mixture does not keep swirls then add a couple of tbsp more, one at a time.
  • Spread the batter around the bottom and the sides of a tart pan, pushing it up the sides to make a border. 













  • Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). However, you know your oven best so you might need to adjust the temperature. And remember if your oven is fan forced reduce the temperature by 20C.
  • Now it is time to make creme fraiche filling. Combine creme fraiche, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar and beat until well mixed and smooth. Pour over the prepared batter and slightly spread it over. And here come the r-r-r-raspberries. I do take some time with arranging berries, placing them in circles. I start from the sides moving towards the centre making sure that berries are distributed evenly on top of the crust. I know it is a bit time consuming but I do it to make sure that everyone gets a piece with lots of yummy goodness on it.

  • Bake your tart in a preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until the shell is golden and the centre is firm. Do not over cook. Take out and let it cool before transferring to your serving dish. You can dust with some icing sugar for extra sweetness but for me tart is great as it is.

It's tart-elicious!!! Enjoy!!!

Let me know if you tried it or made some variations to the recipe.
That's all for now...
take care there.

3 comments:

  1. This is simply mmmmouth waterrring and brillianto!!
    Y cant u b smwhr in my neighborhood?? Aaarrrghhhh! Lollzz
    Luv u darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My owen dznt work properly.
    As soon as I buy new one I shall start trying ur baking recipes insha Allah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Come on you are always welcome to come and have anything you'd like. And oh my GOD!!! I can't imagine my oven breaking down. That will be a disasterrrrrr!
      Love.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...